Required Documents and Initial Assessment
The O-School receives referrals from a wide range of sources, including parents seeking placement for their own children, educational consultants, special education advocates and attorneys, special education departments from boards of education across the nation, the Illinois Individual Care Grant office, professional clinicians, and other child welfare agencies. The O-School does not have contracts with any departments of child protection or juvenile justice.
Parents and referral sources are asked to submit a packet of clinical materials to the Admissions Coordinator, including:
- Copies of the latest psychological assessment (including results of I.Q. and academic achievement testing)
- Recent psychiatric evaluation, including current medications
- Discharge summaries from any in-patient psychiatric hospitalizations
- Most current I.E.P.
- Educational transcript showing all credits earned (for high school students)
The Admissions Committee will review these materials and determine if an interview is indicated based upon several qualifying factors, which include but are not limited to:
- The Committee’s assessment of the student’s ability to benefit from the program
- The ability and willingness of the student and family to participate in and support the treatment
- The consideration of other related variables, such as the existing group/milieu and classroom dynamics
After reviewing the submitted paperwork and student profile, the Committee invites qualified candidates and their parents to the O-School for an interview.
Prospective students meet with two members of the School leadership team and the Admissions Coordinator who discuss the School’s major policies and procedures. Together, the family also tours the School’s residential and academic facilities.
Acceptance and Enrollment
The Admissions Committee makes the final determination of acceptance with feedback obtained from staff members. After acceptance of the offer of admission, a formal admission date will be arranged.
Admissions Office Contact Information:
Kristin Friesen, LCSW
Fax: 773: 420-2805