Life Behind the Yellow Door
The Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School (O-School) is proud of its strong academic programming, therapeutic atmosphere, and history of proven success. For more than a century, the O-School has provided a culture of support, a safe haven and a path to hope for students with mental health challenges, who are on the autistic spectrum or both.
In 2014, the O-School opened a new state-of-the-art campus two blocks from the University of Chicago campus and one block from Chicago’s famous elevated trains.
To apply, or view our open positions, click here.
For additional information about joining the O-School team, please email us at employment@lsscschools.
Whether you have just joined our staff, or have been at the Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School (O-School) for years, we are confident that you will find our school to be a child-centered and extensively rewarding place to work.We highly value our talented staff of educators, clinicians, and counselors who work together to achieve a singular academic and therapeutic experience for the students in our care.
O-School educators and therapeutic experts benefit from extensive leadership and skills development opportunities including:
- Collaborative Group Learning – Project Based
- Real World 21st Century Skill Development
- Conflict resolution
- Project facilitating
- Thought leadership
- Concept and idea development
O-School facilities are the foundation that support the learning that takes place every day. The campus-style facility features modern learning environments designed to facilitate engagement and encourage creativity and collaboration with a supportive, homelike feel.
Educators have access to modern classrooms, equipped with tools for the 21st-century learner, including digital instructive technologies and software including:
- Smartboards in every classroom
- 1-to-1 laptops in the classroom
- 1-to-1 MacBook AIR with Adobe Software in art classes
- 1-to-1 IPads
- Abelton music composition Software
- Multi-purpose science lab equipped to support different disciplines (biology, chemistry, physics and more)
- Modern art room designed to support a wide range of artistic disciplines including digital, paint and sculpting
- Full gymnasium and exercise center with fitness equipment
The O-School offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package for all full time and part time (20 hours +) employees that includes the following:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical Insurance (PPO and HMO options)
- MetLife Dental (PPO) and VSP Vision
- Paid vacation, personal days, sick days, and holidays
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance (Paid by O-School)
- Basic Life Insurance and AD&D (Paid by O-School)
- Voluntary AD&D Insurance and Term Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program, Legal Assistance, and Identity Theft Program
- Retirement Savings Plan 403(b)
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care
- Generous Tuition Assistance
- Free meals and healthy snacks
- Financial wellness support
- Physical wellness support
- Low caseloads and small instructional classes
- Opportunity to institute dynamic and ambitious curriculum that is exciting to teach and prepares students for secondary and post-secondary education
- Strong integration between educational and clinical growth
- Collaboration with clinicians, therapists, and leaders in the field
- Supportive and talented colleagues
- Small and supportive team
- leadership opportunities
- Intensive clinical opportunities
- Long term client relationships
- Clinical supervision hours for licensure (i.e., LCSW, LCPC, PsyD.)
- Opportunities to develop and lead programs
- Flexible hours